Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I have a bone to pick with the rap genre

To me, there are a lot of problems with the current rap generation. Aside from the incorrect grammar and degrading terms rappers use to address themselves and women, the videos make things worse. I never realized before this class just how up in arms I can get about stereotyping women, but I'm seeing myself getting bothered by it more and more. I guess the thing that bothers me the most about the videos are that the women play no other role than just standing there barely dressed. They're silent. They get groped. They get rubbed on. Hell, they grope and rub on other people. But they play no other role! They dont'! It's very bothersome to me that women are silent in these videos. Until they occasionally say something in a cute baby voice like, "yeah, daddy" or something like that, they're just there for visual purposes. Rap videos are on all the time on stations like FUSE, IMF, MTV2, etc. Young people religiously watch these stations, and this is what we're showing them? They're seeing that it's okay to sexually objectify women. Young girls are going to start thinking that it's their duty to rub on guys, to be touched by guys, to be silent while they are the main event.

It disgusts me.

No comments: