Saturday, October 13, 2007

In Response to Axe

It's been tough for me to figure out if I should laugh at or be mad at the new Axe ads that have come out recently. As an advertising major, my instinct is of course to laugh since they've done such a good job creating ridiculous ads (my favorite kind of all). But at the same time, as a female, I can't help but be put off a bit in the way that we're depicted as sense-driven animalistic sex fiends.

It gets a little old seeing women portrayed in the same manner over and over again. Though their "Bom-Chicka Wow Wow" campaign is innovative, it's just the same idea that's been done a thousand times before. Just showing women as sexual objects, even if we're not the ones being objectified. It still focuses on the idea that sex sells, and in this case, it's working. I can only imagine the profits they've earned since they began running these ads.

But no matter what, I'm still an advertising major, and I do find a great deal of humor in these ads.

No comments: